Online Link to Act/Rule/Legislation
Initial Setup or Ongoing Maintenance
Initial Setup only
Filing and Maintenance Requirements
For setting up of a new project, the company/ unit is required to seek environmental clearance of the proposed projects by submitting an application, in Form 1 and supplementary Form 1A, with a detailed environmental impact assessment and a project report to the Environment Ministry.
• Penalties for the first failure or contravention of the compliance requirements under the Environment Protection Act may attract:
• Imprisonment for a term extending up to 5 (five) years; or fine extending up to Rs. 100,000 (Rupees One Hundred Thousand only); or with both.
• Further, continuation of the offence attracts a fine of Rs. 5,000 (Rupees Five Thousand only) per day from the day of conviction for the first failure or contravention.
• Contraventions or failures to comply in excess of 1 (one) year from the date of conviction for the first contravention or failure may attract imprisonment for a term extending up to 7 (seven) years.
• Any person who was in charge/ responsible for conduct of the business of a company when such offence was committed by the company will be held guilty of the offence and be liable for punishment accordingly. The only protection available from prosecution is to prove that the act was committed without knowledge of the concerned person or it could not have been prevented despite due diligence.
Application Guidelines / Responsible Persons / Comments