One-Time Application – License To Undertake Food Business

  • Act/Rule/Legislation

  • Online Link to Act/Rule/Legislation

  • Initial Setup or Ongoing Maintenance

    Initial Setup only

  • Filing and Maintenance Requirements

    Every Food business operator must obtain a license.

    Validity of License:
    A license granted under the Food Licensing Regulations is valid for a period of 1 to 5 years as chosen by the food business operator, from the date of issue of the license subject to remittance of fee applicable for the period.

    Display of License:
    A true copy of the license shall be displayed at a prominent place at all times within the premises where the food business operator carries on the food business.

    Renewal of License:
    An application for the renewal of a license granted under the Food Licensing Regulations shall be made in Form B not later than 30 days prior to the expiry date indicated in the license.

  • Penalty

    Imprisonment for a term which may extend to 6 months and also a fine which may extend to INR 5,00,000.

    Where an existing food business operator does not convert the existing license into a license under the Food Licensing Regulations, within the prescribed time period, such food business operator shall be liable to a penalty which may extend to Rs. 2,00,000/-.

  • Application Guidelines / Responsible Persons / Comments

    The process of application starts with determination of eligibility of the premises. Depending on the installed capacity (for manufacturers) and/or turnover (for other kinds of businesses) and/or location the premises may be eligible for Central or State license or registration.

    For more details please visit:

    Documents to be enclosed for New Application for License to Central Licensing Authority are as under:

    •Form-B Duly completed and signed (In Duplicate) by the Proprietor/Partner or the Authorized Signatory
    •Blueprint/layout plan of the processing unit showing the dimensions in metres/square metres and operation-wise area allocation (mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only)
    •List of Directors/Partners/Proprietor/Executive Members of Society/Trust with full address and contact details (mandatory for companies only)
    •Name and List of Equipment and Machinery along with the number, installed capacity and horse power used (mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only)
    •Photo I.D and address proof issued by Government authority of Proprietor/Partner/Director(s)/Authorised Signatory. (optional)
    •List of food category desired to be manufactured. (In case of manufacturers)
    •Authority letter with name and address of responsible person nominated by the manufacturer along with alternative responsible person indicating the powers vested with them viz assisting the officers in inspections, collection of samples, packing & dispatch. (for manufacturers / processors)
    •Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) of water to be used as ingredient in food from a recognized/ public health laboratory to confirm the portability (mandatory only for manufacturing and processing units only)
    •Proof of possession of premises. (Sale deed/ Rent agreement/ Electricity bill, etc.) (optional)
    •Partnership Deed/Self Declaration for Proprietorship [Download self-declaration for Proprietorship] /Memorandum & Articles of Association towards the constitution of the firm. (optional) – For MoA - Three pages need to be uploaded (First page - Certification of incorporation, Second page - Authorization of food business activity and Third page - list of directors with addresses)
    •Copy of certificate obtained under Coop Act - 1861/Multi State Coop Act - 2002 in case of Cooperatives. (wherever applicable)
    •NOC & Copy of License from manufacturer (mandatory for relabellers and repackers only)
    •Food Safety Management System plan or certificate (if any)
    •Source of milk or procurement plan for milk including location of milk collection centres etc. in case of Milk and Milk Products processing units.(wherever applicable)
    •Source of raw material for meat and meat processing plants. (wherever applicable)
    •Pesticide residues report of water in case of units manufacturing packaged drinking water, packaged Mineral water and/or carbonated water from a recognised/ public health laboratory
    •Recall plan wherever applicable, with details on whom the product is distributed. (optional)
    •NOCs from Municipality or local body. (optional)
    •Ministry of Commerce Certificate for 100% EOU
    •Supporting documentary proof for Turnover
    •NOC/PA document issued by FSSAI (In case of multiple documents, merge them into one document and then upload)
    •IE CODE document issued by DGFT
    •Form IX: Nomination of Persons by a Company along with the Board Resolution. Click here to Download in English | Click here to Download in Hindi
    •Certificate provided by Ministry of Tourism (HRACC). (Mandatory for Hotel Only)
    •For Transporters-Supporting documentary proof for Turnover or self-declaration of number of vehicles (Mandatory for Transporter Only)
    •Declaration Form